Botanic Beauty: Aloe Vera

It is perhaps the most popular skin care ingredient on the market! We love it for its many health benefits for the skin and this is why we use it in several ChitoCare Beauty products. But why exactly is aloe vera so effective? Read on to find out more about this enduring and versatile succulent plant.

Officially known as Aloe Barbadensis, aloe vera is a cactus-like plant that grows in tropical, semi-tropical and arid climates around the world. It has a long history of medicinal use and was even depicted in ancient Egyptian carvings, dating back 6000 years! Aloe vera leaf extract has been used in almost every kind of product – from skin care and cosmetics, after-sun lotions and herbal remedies to health smoothies, flavored water and food supplements.

Why is aloe vera so effective?

Aloe vera is made up of three layers: the hardy, protective outer rind, the middle fibrous layer, and the inner gelatinous core, which is made up of 99.5% water – proof that it can retain immense amounts of moisture even in extremely dry conditions. The other 0.5% of the inner layer is made up of a whopping 75 identified components, including vitamins, zinc, potassium, magnesium, enzymes, amino acids and antioxidants. This inner sap is so effective, it can be squeezed out right onto the skin to treat dry patches, sun burn and minor burns. It delivers an intensive shot of moisture, cooling down the skin and nourishing it with nutrients. Aloe vera juice powder is a highly effective ingredient and, thanks to its many skin health benefits, we have incorporated it into our skin care line.

Moisture retention

One of aloe vera’s main properties is its ability to retain moisture by preventing water loss from the skin’s dermis layer. Our skin’s extracellular matrix is where collagen, elastin and polysaccharides can be found. These elements all help moisture bind to the skin and one type of polysaccharide, called glycosaminoglycan, can also be found in aloe vera. With its ability to absorb water, it helps the skin remain hydrated and prevents transepidermal water loss. Using ChitoCare Beauty Body Lotion, containing aloe vera leaf juice powder and chitosan, will keep your skin hydrated, locking in moisture for silky smooth results.


Aloe vera has excellent antibacterial, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties, thanks to natural chemical compounds called phytochemicals. These are all produced by plants to help them grow and include vitamins, lipids, sugars, enzymes, minerals, salicylic acids and amino acids. These phytochemicals help reduce inflammation and offer a soothing effect, helping calm itchy or irritated skin. In fact, aloe vera contains 20 of the 22 amino acids required by humans, so ChitoCare Beauty Hand Cream is the perfect way to ensure your skin has all the amino acids it needs to remain healthy and soft.


Thanks to aloe vera’s high content of enzymes, vitamins and minerals, it enriches the skin with nutrients. These boosts the natural barrier of the skin, while glycosides promote healthy cell regeneration. Our ChitoCare Beauty Face Cream contains aloe vera leaf juice powder, coconut oil and Pseudoalteromonas Ferment Extract to ensure the sensitive skin of the face is rejuvenated and restored with every application.

Antioxidant action

Antioxidants are those magical elements found in nature that help remove potentially damaging agents from our body. One of the functions of antioxidants is to fight free radicals that are produced when the skin experiences oxidative stress – most often caused by exposure to UV rays that damage skin cells and cause the skin to age faster. Aloe vera’s high antioxidant content means it reduces free radical production, thus protecting the skin from UV light exposure, pollution and chemical irritants. We use aloe vera in our ChitoCare Beauty Face Cream to help plump up fine lines, improve skin firmness and offer a more youthful appearance.

Aloe vera truly is a natural wonder of the earth and, what’s more, it is suitable for all skin types – especially dry, damaged, broken, sensitive and irritated skin. Incorporating it into your skin care routine will help replenish your skin’s moisture levels, protect it from bacteria and inflammation, and reveal a soft and dewy appearance.